Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Roadside Cross



We put CJ's roadside cross up last weekend. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who came out on the day we put it up. Toby went to a lot of effort to have it made and painted for us, and our gratitude is inexpressable. Special thanks to all those who helped us dig the hole and lay the concrete, and to Skate for bringing the shade. I must admit, I was surprised that so many people came. For those of you who would like to visit the cross, you'll find it on Lake Mead Road, at mile marker 36, just after the 40 mph left curve. You'll find it on the south side of the road, across a ditch. There is also another cross close by, for the motorcycle rider that died in the same spot the month before CJ's accident. We have also placed several orange cones out there to warn of the ditch that CJ didn't see. Maybe it will help save someone elses life... We encourage you all to visit as often as you like.

The brass plates were given to the family by an incredibly kind woman. Even though her business only takes commercial clients, she took the time out of her schedule to personally make the brass plates for us, and then refused payment. I mention this only because it seems sad that we're so touched and surprised by simple human kindness and compassion. I've always thought celtic knots were beautiful, but do you know what they represent? No ancient symbol is merely decorative. The trinity knot (three points in a never ending line) represents the eternal nature of life, and the divine mystery. A quote I like (from one yogi or another - do those guys even have names?) says this philosophy better. It goes "Aren't you enjoying your chocolate? You should, for I tell you this: you have nothing to fear and you should not worry. For birth is not a beginning and death is not an end..."

Kim read a beautiful Irish Funeral Prayer that i would also like to share with you:

Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again.

The cross is beautiful. But Toby should have never have had to have it made. Kim and Jerry should never have had to put their sons name on it. I should have never have had to look at it. None of us should have had to do this. But if we had to, I'm glad we did it right. All we can do is the best we can, and I think that this cross is the best tribute we could have put up there.
Oh, and if you do stop by, feel free to bring a little Captain Morgan Private stock to share with him... I'm sure he'd appreciate it. When I go, I'll drink a toast the good old times, the friends we should never lose and the things that we don't want to do but do anyway, because sometimes there's nothing else to do.

Blessed be.

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tamsen,
I remember the day I found out CJ past. It was on or close to the day of, over the phone. I didn't know you then, but still wept the moment after you told me. I did not know your age or circumstance but mourned for you anyway, calling Jake and telling him how much I loved him, just because I could. After knowing and talking to you a few times, I have admired you so much for your strength and sense of humor. We beleive similar things when it comes to death and I just know that one day, someday things will be okay. You, like CJ, are meant for great things, I just know it.
I will go see CJ's cross, and I will bring Morgan special reserve....to show respect for him, for you, and for the people that he meant so much to. I could not hold back my tears while reading this blog. You are right, no one should ever have to go through what you and your family have. But you did what needed to be done, and you are an amazing woman for it. I wish I could have had the honor of knowing CJ, but I would like to think that maybe one day I will.
Blessed be
Kara

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger YoungWidower30 said...

OP,
I just read your entire post and it really hits home with me. My wife, Lauren, and I were both born in 1981 as well. We got to spend six wonderful years together when she had a reaction to a new medication. She died at 1:35am in my arms. I don't think I'll every get that image out of my head. I am currently in my sixth month as well, and I know exactly how you felt then. This sucks so bad... I can't even begin to put it into words. I wish you the best of luck in your future without the love of your life as I am having to figure that out myself. She was my best friend in the whole world and no one should pass away so young.
All my love to you and your family. I will add you to my prayer list.

Joseph P. Easton, CET

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger YoungWidower30 said...

OP,
I just read your entire post and it really hits home with me. My wife, Lauren, and I were both born in 1981 as well. We got to spend six wonderful years together when she had a reaction to a new medication. She died at 1:35am in my arms. I don't think I'll every get that image out of my head. I am currently in my sixth month as well, and I know exactly how you felt then. This sucks so bad... I can't even begin to put it into words. I wish you the best of luck in your future without the love of your life as I am having to figure that out myself. She was my best friend in the whole world and no one should pass away so young.
All my love to you and your family. I will add you to my prayer list.

Joseph P. Easton, CET

 

Post a Comment

<< Home